Next generation technology for virus/viral vector imaging applied in antiviral screening, gene delivery and oncolytic virotherapies
NeoVirTech has developed a breakthrough technology to directly visualize and quantify in real time virus/viral vector infection and replication in living cells. NeoVirTech possesses the exclusive worldwide license for the ANCHORTM technology, a new generation of autofluorescent system allowing the visualization of viral DNA in living cells.
The ANCHOR system is composed of two parts:
- The ANCH sequence: short (from 200NT to 1kb) and unique (non repetitive), the sequence contains nucleation seeds for the binding of OR proteins. Insertion of the sequence in the viral genome does not perturb DNA metabolism or virus production.
- The OR-fluorescent protein expressing gene which specifically recognizes and spreads on the ANCH sequence, triggering the formation of a fluorescent focus easily detectable and quantifiable by microscopy (either classical or High Content). The strong accumulation of OR-FP protein onto its cognate ANCH sequence (up to 500 OR-FP/ANCH) is far enough to detect single DNA molecules. Therefore, fluorescent spot corresponds to the position of a single viral DNA copy.
The ANCH sequence is cloned upstream of the Or-FP expressing gene and inserted directly inside the DNA of interest (plasmid, gene, transposon, virus, viral vector used in gene therapy or oncolytic products). This autonomous ANCHOR cassette will convert target DNA into an autofluorescent molecule. NeoVirTech can use up to four different ANCHOR systems, with different length and fused to their corresponding fluorescent proteins, that can be used in combinations to detect several class of DNA simultaneously. Using the ANCHORTM technology, fitness studies visualizing co-infection of several viruses in real time are now possible.
High Content Screening
Our viruses are especially suitable for high content screening campaign, combined with deep in cell imaging using high resolution microscopy, for the discovery of active compounds. We offer several screening models for antiviral discovery in human and animal health. We also propose screening services using your own models (such as oncolytic or gene therapy products) and our internal compound libraries (1200 FDA approved compounds). This service has proven to be efficient in the discovery of antiviral, vaccine adjuvant or oncolytic modulators (activator/inhibitor).
- Assignment of a dedicated project manager
- Library collection and formatting if necessary.
- Compound activity screening (several viral models and cell lines available).
- IC50/90 calculation, compound toxicity included. Specific measurements available on request (determination of oncolytic potential, viral inactivation, attachment, penetration, replication, cell to cell spread).
- Hit sorting
- Writing and transfer of final study report
- Rapidity: high throughput format (up to 1000 compounds/day), classical turn-around time is a week (months for plaque assay/TCID studies).
- Multi-parametric: each data point include normalized toxicity, impact on infection rate and viral DNA replication level
- Precise: help determine the mechanism of action of a compound (MOA)
- drug discovery in human and animal health
- measure of oncolytic product or gene therapy product activity on specific cell lines
- interaction of oncolytic or gene therapy product with existing treatment
High Resolution Imaging of viruses or viral vectors
NeoVirTech performs high resolution imaging in living cells of your specific construct to decipher its action. We have already developed custom ANCHORTM viruses or viral vectors for specific application such as antiviral discovery, gene transfer studies, viral based vaccine development, oncolytic virotherapies and other broad applications, depending on customer’s interest.
- Viral vector collection and amplification
- ANCHORTM tagging of the DNA of interest and validation using vector specific markers
- Determination of infection kinetics, replication and propagation of the tagged construct using high resolution live cell imaging, from 2D to 3D.
- Imaging of the impact of a specific compound on the behavior of the construct.
- Validated models can then shift to either the High content screening part of our services or to the licensing part.
- High quality data are generated, tremendous asset in communication/marketing campaign
- As viral DNA is autofluorescent, no fixation, no extraction and no reagents are required. We directly image effect of your product.
- understand the behavior of a specific virus/vector/compound in development
- illustrate and communicate on your product for investor/media
Out Licensing for industry/ MTA for academic labs
NeoVirTech offers the ANCHORTM technology for internal use, both for academic and industrial research.
- Access to the ANCHORTM technology and transfer to the customer's R&D laboratory
- Technical support and troubleshooting until completion of specific project.
- Tag any kind of DNA in living cells !
- Combine ANCHORTM tagged DNA with classical imaging techniques such as immunofluorescence
- Generate high quality data using classical microscopy
- Fees are requested for production/development/troubleshooting and maintenance of IP protection.
- Several offers available, you can request a MTA at email@example.com :
- Discovery pack (trial version): one ANCHORTM system. MTA duration: 6 months, restricted use of modifications. MTA fees: 750€. Happy with the system ? Shift to complete pack for unlimited use.
- Complete pack: all available ANCHORTM system (4 constructs, several colors). MTA duration: 2 years (free MTA renewal), unlimited use of modifications. MTA fees: 2000€
- Advanced pack: Complete pack + One of our available autofluorescent virus. MTA duration: 2 years (free MTA renewal), unlimited use of modifications. MTA fees: 3000€
What our clients say
We are developing inhibitors of intracellular trafficking pathways that block virus entry into cells. NeoVirTech’s technology allows for precise ranking of sets of analogues according to their antiviral potencies and selectivity indexes.
Working with NeoVirTech was a great experience. Preparatory discussions were rich and efficient, adaptation of protocols to our needs was very successful, antiviral screening of our molecules was done rapidly, and activity reports were clear and informative. The team was always available to answer our questions. We warmly recommend NeoVirTech for the screening and potency assessment of antiviral molecules on designated viruses.
Dr Daniel GilletLaboratoire de toxinologie moléculaire et biotechnologies, CEA Paris Saclay
The Technology Transfer Office Aquitaine Science Transfert (AST) aims to accelerate the dissemination of innovations on the market. AST supports innovative concepts from the researcher’s invention until proof-of-concept has been established. For a project of our portfolio, we were looking for a partner to evaluate the antiviral activity of a patented compound on infection and replication of different virus families. We had efficient and productive interactions with Dr Franck Gallardo and his team throughout the project to design the study, plan the execution and discuss about the results. I would highly recommend Neovirtech for antiviral drug evaluation.
Dr Lucile TranDr Lucile Tran, Healthcare project manager – Business Developer at Aquitaine Science Transfer
Transgene SA is a biopharmaceutical company developing for more than 30 years innovative targeted-immunotherapies to answer unmet medical needs in the oncology and infectious disease fields. We were looking for a rapid and efficient solution to investigate the behavior of our products using high-resolution quantitative microscopy. NeoVirTech’s autofluorescence technology and screening platform allowed us to precisely visualize, understand and compare the behavior of our products directly using live cell microscopy techniques. The beauty and quality of the data they can generate open a new perspective for our activities, boosting up our research and validation processes. Thank you NeoVirTech for this ongoing precious collaboration.
Dr. Philippe ErbsHead of Oncolytic Virus Department. Transgene S.A, Illkirch Graffenstaden, France
For almost 40 years, InvivoGen had developed and commercialized several hundreds of compounds for innate immunity field. We are interested in testing the activity of some new proprietary compounds in the anti-infectious domain. NeoVirTech was a ‘local’ choice for this project. The technology they proposed combined quantitative and qualitative results in a high throughput screening format. Their expertise in virology, the speed and quality of the generated data led us to rapidly identify new compounds as antiviral.
Dr Cédric BoularanInvivoGen, SAS, Toulouse
Neovirtech’s technology platform uniquely allows rapid and accurate screening of compounds against a range of clinically relevant viral pathogens. Dr. Franck Gallardo and his team provide an in-depth knowledge base and an interactive environment for study design, planning and execution. I would highly recommend Neovirtech for antiviral drug screening
Dr Erik De LeeuwInstitute of Human Virology & Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of the University of Maryland Baltimore School of Medicine, USA
Advances in immune suppression allows the grafting of life saving cells and organs between patients. Immune suppression unfortunately also promotes viral infections normally controlled by the immune system making the development of novel antivirals that work under immune suppression an imperative task. The underlying mechanisms causing reactivation or promoting viral replication are often related to dynamic changes in the chromatin status of the viral genome. Working with NeoVirtech gives us the unique opportunity to label viral genomes with the ANCHOR technology and study the dynamic behaviour of individual viral genomes in living cells under different environmental conditions. Understanding how viral genomes respond in living cells is key to understanding and developing novel drug concepts and mechanistic understanding of existing antivirals. Setting up the technology with NeoVirtech was simple, professional and driven by scientific understanding … the start of a great ongoing relationship!
Dr Harald WodrichMFP CNRS UMR 5234, University of Bordeaux
Viral diseases cause significant financial loss in animal production systems. Despite the importance of viral pathogens as primary and secondary etiologic agents in cattle, pigs and poultry, no antiviral products are commercially licensed for use in veterinary medicine. Collaboration with NeoVirTech give us unique opportunity to explore the potential of antiviral therapy in the veterinary virology domain. Among viral animal diseases, we are particularly interested in poxviruses induced diseases of rabbit and poultry (myxomatosis, fowlpox), and labelling of DNA viral genomes with the ANCHOR technology will allow us to rapidly screen available compounds for antiviral significative effects.
Dr Stéphane BertagnoliProfessor of virology, National Veterinary school of Toulouse
Expertise and outstanding skills that rely on R&D of high scientific level.
This company, a true example of dynamism and inventiveness, is a pride for our institute.
Dr. Bernard DucommunHead of ITAV lab
ON BSL2 LABORATORY
Very proud to announce that we have successfully achieved a proof of concept with our collaborator T.Zic, a company providing LED UV water disinfection system at the point of use. […]
In May 2019, NeoVirTech has been recognized by Pharma Tech Outlook Magazine as Top 10 Drug Discovery & Development Consulting/Services Companies in Europe. This annual listing highlights 10 companies that […]
NeoVirTech closes a 2 year research program with financial support from the 2016 I-Lab Contest by Bpifrance, in the category creation-development. This program aimed at developing autofluorescent veterinary viruses to […]
Some facts about us
Our added value
Having the ability to directly and rapidly visualize virus or viral vectors infection and replication in living cells using a breakthrough technology. This is what we propose at NeoVirTech. Our state of the art imaging facility and screening platform provide a powerful tool to understand how viruses replicate and discover compounds that will impact this replication (either increase or decrease). NeoVirTech propose its service in the field of oncolytic virotherapies and infectious diseases, applied for human and veterinary markets. The beauty and quality of the data generated by our platform boost up your research and your communication processes. Stop running gels or doing CPE, unleash the power of imaging in your research programs !Franck Gallardo, PhD Founder & CEO/CSO
Franck Gallardo, PhDFounder & CEO
Franck has over 14 years of experience in the field of cellular biology and microscopy. He holds a PhD in biochemistry from the medicine faculty of the Université de Montréal, Qc, CANADA. In 2012, Franck takes the lead of the ANCHOR team at the Technological Institute for Life Sciences and is responsible for the industrial application of the ANCHOR system. He creates NeoVirTech in 2014, based on several proof of concept made in the ANCHOR team. In 2015, he is awarded alumnus of the year from the Riboclub society, CANADA. Franck won the Innovative Company Award from the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research as well as The French Agency for Innovation (BPI France) in 2013 and in 2016.
Bernard Mariamé, PhDAssociate, member of the board
Bernard has over 30 years of experience in immunology and virology. Following his thesis in immunogenetics (1979), he did a post-doc in Francois Rougeon lab at the Institut Pasteur (Paris) followed by a second post doc at the Ludwig Institute in Bruxelles (Belgium). Bernard was recruited as a researcher first class at the CNRS in 1990. Bernard is expert in the virology field, especially herpes viruses biology, he is member and financial officer of the HerPas association. Bernard joined the team in 2012, bringing his virology expertise and his technical skills to the team.
Stéphane Bertagnoli, PhDMember of the board, scientific counsil poxviruses program.
Stéphane obtained a PhD in microbiology/virology and veterinary from the University Paul Sabatier. Professor of Virology at the National veterinary school of Toulouse, he was in the operational reserve from the french army as a poxvirus expert. Stephane brings his expertise in poxviruses biology to NeoVirTech and his in charge of the in vivo testing in A2/A3 facilities. Stéphane belongs to the UMR INRA-ENVT 1225, research unit recognized worlwide for its work on poxviruses associated diseases.
Note: SB does not own any share and therefore declare no conflict of interest.
Kerstin Bystricky, PhD/PrAssociate, member of the board
Kerstin has over 20 years of experience in the field of cellular biology and DNA dynamics. She holds an engineer diploma from AgroParisTech (Paris) and PhD in biochemistry from the PenState university (USA). She is principal investigator of the chromatin and gene expression team at the Eucaryotic molecular biology laboratory (Toulouse). Kerstin co-developped the ANCHOR system with Franck back in 2010. She brings her expertise in DNA dynamics and cell biology to the team and is responsible for developping new application for the ANCHOR system. Visit her research ID page
Sandrine Kappler-Gratias, Ph.DAssociate, Head of screening unit, Poxvirus HCS campaign
Sandrine held various position before being recruited in the ANCHOR team in 2013. Sandrine has a long expertise in the design of ANCHOR tagged viruses for live cell imaging application. She was responsible for successful program such as tagging EBV and HPV genomes. Sandrine is head of screening unit, mainly in charge of poxvirus HCS campaign. She also manages her own virus tagging program. Sandrine is trained in quality, ISO17025-ISO15189.
Sokunthea Top, PhDPoxvirus project leader
Sokunthea obtained her PhD at the National Veterinary school of Toulouse, working on the development of poxvirus based vaccine against bluetongue pathologies. Expert in the manipulation and recombination of viruses, she is in charge of managing our poxvirus projects.
Audrey MartinMarketing and communication manager
After a Master at IAE Lyon School of Management (management of pharmaceutical industries) and several biotech experiences, Audrey takes in charge all communication/ marketing activities and leads our extension towards international activities as a consultant.
Charlotte Quentin-Froignant, CIFRE PhDAnimal Herpes virus project manager
Charlotte holds a master in vectorology and gene therapies. After managing anti-adenovirus discovery program at NeoVirTech, Charlotte joined us following a PhD fellowship from the ANRT. Charlotte is in charge of the development of autofluorescents animal herpesviruses for the discovery of new antiviral compounds and treatment of widespread animal infection.